Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

can we have more comments on photos please?

And if you want to post something photography related which doesn’t fall into either of the other sub forums please post in the General discussions sub-forum. If you have a point to raise about the photography forum please post that here as well, thank you.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

can we have more comments on photos please?

Post by andygolfer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:15 pm

We mods have been e-chatting and are disappointed to note a growing number of photographic threads where there are a lack of comments re the posted photos. This has also been raised recently by some of our members who are equally disappointed that they have taken time to post photos on the forum, have received numerous ‘views’ but no comments and they wonder if it is worthwhile doing so.

Members make a lot of effort to take, edit and post photos on the forum and the photo section is a large part thereof with about 45% of the total forum posts in that section so please when you look at photos think about taking a few moments to comment on the posted photos but always in a polite manner.

To give a bit of protection to those of a sensitive nature (I’m so thick skulled anything just bounces off but I appreciate not everybody is the same) if you are posting photos and are happy to receive comments on the quality etc please finish your post with ‘C&C welcome’ (meaning comments and criticism welcome) but you may need to realise that some comments might be critical but at the same time that may help to improve your standard of photography. Please make any critical comments meaningful not something like ‘ that’s rubbish, I could have done much better if I’d bothered to get out of bed, and stood around in the freezing cold for two hours’ - well you get the idea anyway.

If the poster has not added C&C welcome then please keep comments polite and general without criticism as we don't want to discourage people from posting if they are a bit nervous about taking the plunge and posting on here, many thanks.

Oh, and lastly (a bit obvious really) as always comments should NOT be made in the live photo competitions thank you.

And of course you can comment on this if you wish, we love feedback because then we know if we are doing things right.
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

250canam

Re: can we have more comments on photos please?

Post by 250canam » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:19 pm

I have often thought about putting forward a response to this so here goes. I expect that like me many members view each and every posting. If we all commented, and many would be of the order of "well done, great pics, thanks for posting", the system would get clogged up very easily. On one of my local forums which I use regularly (viewing and posting) there is a "Like" button, which when selected puts the users name at the bottom of the original posting with a list of those who "Like" it. Any thoughts as to whether this would be workable on here to show our appreciation without adding pages to a posting of two or three photos.
Ian W - pensioner and LAPL(A) holder.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks Ian, Feedback at last!

I do often post a brief compliment and thanks as per your comment but can appreciate too many of them can end up a bit meaningless. I try to add a constructive comment as well when I feel there is a valid one to make.

The suggestion has some merit in my opinion (like the facebook 'like' button I presume) but I don't know how easy it would be to do or if the Aero Resource team would want to do it. I'll see what other comments arise as a result of your post and if there is sufficient support I will discuss it with the mods to see if we can take it forward to AR.

thanks again for taking the time to comment

Andy

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

Cooper1812

Post by Cooper1812 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:17 am

I'm new here so I thought I'd chip in.

Sometimes I post on various forums to start a conversation every bit as much as to get feedback on the image itself. It can be more of a social thing for me than a photography thing. Therefore when I post something and no one comments it's kinda like saying "hiya!" and getting no answer! This is the only forum where that seems to happen (I'm including other photo posters in that as I haven't posted much) but I'd just put that down to it being a smaller community than others I'm on. It wouldn't discourage me too much......but I certainly wouldn't post as much.

I'm also new (ish) to Flickr and it's interesting how that seems to work. People will give my photo a "favourite" and not comment, but at least I know someone thinks it worth a click. As was mentioned above, I wonder would a similar Like function work here? Whilst there will always be a place for this type of forum, today's world seems more about speedy clicks on Facebook than taking the time to have a conversation with someone. Precisely why I don't FB......

Anyway, I'll stick around as you seem like a nice bunch and I actually learn things by being here! :P

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:06 am

thanks for the feedback and a belated welcome.

the like function has been suggested twice now so there might well be some merit in it if it is possible to do so with the software
Andy

bizfreeq
SPOTM winner

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am

I am an occasional poster of photos on here and to be honest I don't do it for the comments or the critique, I am more than happy that people have just taken the time to have a look. If they feel like commenting then that is more than welcome but is far from the be all and end all and doesn't affect whether I will post again. In this day and age you may have a bit of time to look at a large number of posts but typing the same "well done, great pics, thanks for posting" rhetoric for every one you look at is not only very time consuming, will, rightly or wrongly, become a little less meaningful on each further re-typing.
I fully agree with the like button suggestion, though I assume that may be difficult to implement but that may just be my lack of technical knowledge speaking!
I do think since the era of A-net and it's many clones people have become far more obsessive with the hit count and the comments box rather than the sharing and enjoying part and even more so with the 'I must be the first one to get the photo on the internet' syndrome. I think we need to accept that not everyone has the time to comment and, if you do get just the one, or just get a few hits and no comments, take from it that at least there are people out there taking time out and looking at them and enjoying them (because if they weren't, human nature would be more likely to step in and tell you they weren't up to it....people are far more likely to comment negatively than positively unfortunately!)
Cheers
Mark

250canam

Post by 250canam » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:27 pm

Just another comment about "comments" which may be slightly off the intent of this thread. There are some posters on here and FC who when asking for "C & C" really only want sycophantic "great pic" type comments. Some time back I had the temerity to say that a pic taken by a regular poster was, in my humble opinion, not very good and an opportunity wasted. I got jumped on from a great height by said poster's friends and was told that if I couldn't say anything good about a pic then dont say anything at all - so I haven't said anything at all about any pic since then. My pics are just a photographic record of what I have seen, I have no pretensions that they are great works of pictorial art and accept that others with more expensive kit might have done better. Not a poor workman blaming his tools, I just point and shoot if I see something which interests me. Hence I very rarely post on here unless we get an unusual visitor to Humberside Airport or I dig out some of my old photos to scan for interest.
Ian W - pensioner and LAPL(A) holder.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:51 am

I think that is quite a relevant point in this thread.

I have often seen "poor" quality images but the poster does not ask for critique and therefore I wouldn't even consider commenting on the quality, or at all for that matter. There are so many posts, particularly on the sister forum, often of the same or similar subjects, so that unless I see a really outstanding photo, I won't comment at all.

I belong to a local photographic group and our external judges are often really helpful with their critiques. Polite and constructive criticism is meant to be helpful and if you take it on board may improve your photography.

Put simply, if you can't take C&C then don't ask for it!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Very good point, I always say that I will learn far more from a critical comment saying it could be better if I did this or that than 'very nice, great light' etc and that way I hope my techniques will gradually improve.

Andy

retro11
POTM winner

Post by retro11 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:34 pm

I post regularly on here and like all of us that take the time to submit photos look for acknowledgement more than praise i would be delighted if someone asked where did you take that from, was it in the morning or afternoon what size of lens etc etc also my thoughts on a Facebook type "like" button would only serve to
give a percentage of how many views Vs how many likes and might even become a lazy/easy option and reduce the comments that tagged on the original post.
We all use different equipment some really expensive kit and some more towards the budget side of things mines a second hand Nikon D90 bought off E-bay so i dont use the top range gear but to me its about the exposure the angle taken and the light that make the photo and some on here a stunning even if its a run off the mill BA Airbus "nailed".
Another idea i have being toying with is to post up an uncropped/unprocessed J-peg image for the purpose of it being downloaded re-worked and sent back to the same thread with what that person has done to it and how he/she did it that would make an interesting comparison that might throw up some pointers for all of us, so to everyone who shares there photos on here keep it up i for one enjoy looking at them regards DD

waghorn41

Post by waghorn41 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:38 pm

I agree with what has been said about clogging up with repeated 'great pic' etc type comments. Also the like button has merit to a point. C&C - well and good but as has been pointed out not everybody can afford the best kit or the time to wait for that 'perfect' shot. Personally I rarely take photos these days as my kit packed up years ago so most of my submissions are from the time when I 'had camera will shoot', hence the lack of quality, composition etc. Add to that the fact that my negatives have not been well cared for and, well you get the drift. However, I do post because I was taking photos when I suspect some members of the forum were not around and the subject matter may be of interest even if the quality is not of a particularly good standard. For those interested I used a battered Zenit E with the standard 58mm lens or a Pentax 200mm telephoto, sometimes witha x2 adaptor. Occassionally I used a 500mm but it was rather bulky but sometimes useful especially with the x2 adaptor.

niallsaviation
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by niallsaviation » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Its still nice to get an acknowledgment for your time and effort to take the shots and then post them.
There are times you wonder why you bother

Personally Id love get get more constructive help with my shots..
I use a Nikon D7100 with a Sigma 150-500 mostly.

Photography is a learning curve for everyone

Return to “General photography discussions”