Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Help from other D90 owners

If you are looking to buy new gear and need advice or would like to review your equipment for the membership please use the Tech Talk sub forum
SteveJ

Help from other D90 owners

Post by SteveJ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi folks,

Are there any D90 owners out there who can give me some advice please ?

I've had my D90 about a month now and I can't seem to get my head around the various settings, today I've been at Staverton and have just opened up my pictures on the computer and to be perfectly honest I'm quite disappointed with them. I'm tending to get quite a few with a whitish colour cast and also on some the white fuselages seem to be over exposed as can be seen in the shots below. The attached pictures have just been resized but nothing else has been altered in any photo editing software.

Shot's attached were matrix metering, EV 0, ISO 250 and were shot as jpegs.

F5.3 1/500

F7.1 1/800

F4.5 1/200

Can anyone help out, is it just something simple I've missed in the settings, would centre weighted metering be better ?

Help !

Steve :cry:

SteveJ

Re: Help from other D90 owners

Post by SteveJ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Post removed

Steve
Last edited by SteveJ on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 am

Give people time ;)

I don't have a D90 (yet - it's with Father Christmas! ;)) however;

Shot 1) Looks like you were shooting in to bright sunlight, not much you can do about that.
Shot 2) Looks ok, I'd maybe have used f/8 for that shot. A bit more contrast in Photoshop and it'll be fine.
Shot 3) Same as above, using f/8 would give you a lower shutter speed, but a sharper image (if you can hold it steady!)

In bright sunlight you can probably under-expose by 1/3rd of a stop (EV-0.3 or whatever it's called on Nikon cameras, will find out myself soon enough!) to get more contrast, I wouldn't do it if it was dark to start with!

Hope that helps :)

SteveJ

Post by SteveJ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 am

Cheers Chris and apologies for my remark above, I suppose looking back on it I wasn't very pleased with what I shot on Saturday.

First shot the sun was from the left and it was mid afternoon, I have reworked it in CS5 and managed to get it looking better than what is shown above but not what I call perfect.

At the moment I don't feel as though I'm getting as good results with the D90 for aviation that I did with the D70, all other subjects I'm finding the D90 is perfect.
Maybe it's just me expecting too much straight from the camera, only time will tell.

Hope Santa remembers where you live and you get many hours of enjoyment using it. Look forward to seeing your pictures from it in the new year.

Cheers

Steve :)

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Might be worth playing with the settings, especially the exposure compensation, and see what happens :)

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Steve,
Now I've played with my D90 a bit more, it would seem that D-Lighting needs to remain on (whether it be in "Auto" or "Neutral") so as not to over-expose pictures. I did a little test on my lunch last week, and it seems "Neutral" seems to work better, as "Auto" has a tendency to under-expose shots when it's very sunny, thus losing details.

Hope that helps a bit?!

SteveJ

Post by SteveJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks Chris,

I haven't been doing much in the way of aviation related pics recently, mostly landscapes, I'll try the above when I next get to an airfield.

Every little bit helps :thumb:

Steve

Return to “Tech Talk”