Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

I am thinking of Buying a Bridge Camera

If you are looking to buy new gear and need advice or would like to review your equipment for the membership please use the Tech Talk sub forum
KenR

I am thinking of Buying a Bridge Camera

Post by KenR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I am thinking of buying a bridge camera for Overseas travel - Mainly to cut down carry on weight.
I travel long haul at least once a year, mainly to visit different airports and take photographs.
Last year - Hong Kong, Japan and Thailand.
This year - USA - Florida, Mexico, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

My current gear consists of :-
Camera - Canon 70d
Lenses -all Canon L series - 20-105 L, 70-200 L, 70-300 L, 100-400 L.
I normally Fly with one of the 1st two lenses AND one of the last two.

I am thinking of buying a Bridge Camera - either a Canon SX60HS, OR A Panasonic FZ82.
I fully realise that a bridge camera costing a few hundred pounds is not going to give me the quality of a DLSR with L series lenses.
I am wondering how much quality I will be sacrificing while benefiting from the weight reduction.
Any views, experience or input welcome.

MTIA

Ken

Mike s
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: I am thinking of Buying a Bridge Camera

Post by Mike s » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:53 pm

HI Ken
ironicly I have just replaced my canon sx50 bridge camera with a canon eos 600d DSLR,if I were you I would stick to the 70d plus you're shortest and longest lenses for your trip.yse the bridge camera is light and boasts a huge zoom but those lenses suffer from chromatic aberration not to mention the 1.3 sec shutter lag in raw mode!
I have seen a huge increase in quality over my bridge camera since getting the DSLR my photos are much easier and quicker to edit,I ONLY have a cheep ef-s 55-250 is stm lens ,you'll notice a huge jump in quality over l series lens to bridge
mike
Check out my pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/46921869@N02/

SBS1 PP ground station nn FR24 Feeder planefinder feeder mil mode s feeder,UBC125XLT,Canon powershot SX50,& plane plotter route updater!

Return to “Tech Talk”