Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

canon 7D mk11 front focus issues

A section to help increase your photography and processing knowledge - if there’s something you want help with or if you can provide an answer to a question which has be posted please use the Questions & Answers sub forum
mach one
POTM winner

canon 7D mk11 front focus issues

Post by mach one » Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 pm

I have had the 7D mk11 for a while now and have used it many times with my 70-200 2.8 L lens and never noticed an issue when shooting aviation or motorsport, but last friday I was working very close to my subject and using very shallow depth of field of F/2.8 or F/4 and i noticed that close in my lens appears to be front focusing slightly

I am going to try and correct it using the autofocus micro adjustment in the cameras menu but if i have no luck then i will have to send it off to canon before the lens gets to a year old and get them to calibrate the lens to the body for me to correct this slight issue

I had a similar issue when i bought my 100-400 and i couldn't get a real sharp shot when it was on my 50d, so that was sent in to boreham wood for calibration

anybody else had a similar issue?

talldan76
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: canon 7D mk11 front focus issues

Post by talldan76 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:46 pm

hi,

Did you get to the bottom of the problem, or did you revert to sending it off for calibration?

I've just got rid of my 100-400 L mk1 for the simple reason that I seemed to bin more than I kept - have traded that for a Canon 300mm F4 L.

Dan

mach one
POTM winner

Re: canon 7D mk11 front focus issues

Post by mach one » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 am

talldan76 wrote:hi,

Did you get to the bottom of the problem, or did you revert to sending it off for calibration?

I've just got rid of my 100-400 L mk1 for the simple reason that I seemed to bin more than I kept - have traded that for a Canon 300mm F4 L.

Dan
I printed off a focus calibration chart mounted it to card and did some test shots, then i did some AF microadjustment in camera and it seems to be a lot better now so not had to send it in for calibration this time

I never really liked using my 100-400 mk1 over 350mm as it was never 100% sharp at the top end, The canon 300 F/4 is a good lens, I had one back in 2006 That i used for a couple of years and it was great on its own or with the 1.4 X converter for a bit more reach, i sold it to fund the 100-400 but have now gone back to a 300 prime and 1.4 X converter

Return to “Photography Questions & Answers”