Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hello from South Gloucestershire

Introduce yourself here and feel free to ask any "newbie" questions that any of the beginners to the hobby have
iannp16

Hello from South Gloucestershire

Post by iannp16 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello. I have long "looked in" at this website & thought it was about time I joined.
A bit about myself, I joined British Rail aged 16 in 1983 on the railway equivalent of the YTS scheme & when I reached 18 got a job as a Guard (freight & passenger) which I have basically done ever since (unfortunately just passenger work these days). Aged 18 I joined the (then) TA as a private in the Infantry & still do it 32 years later (albeit now as a Captain) & have served several front-line deployments in that time. As well as the Reserves I also do "welfare" for my full time parent regiment.
I have long had an interest in both civil & military aviation--indeed where I was brought up it was in the flight-path of Birmingham Airport & have vivid memories of BA 1-11 aircraft flying from there to northern destinations leaving their smoke trails & noise signatures overhead 20 odd miles NW of the airport.
I have been lucky enough to fly in a wide range of civil (& military) aircraft with a wide range of airlines (a lot long defunct) & my all time favourite aircraft has to be the BAC 1-11. i love looking at the pictures on this site especially the nostalgia section & where time allows look forward to participating in debates.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Hello from South Gloucestershire

Post by Mike » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 am

Welcome to CA. Enjoy ! :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:31 am

welcome Ian and thanks for the introduction.

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Welcome aboard Ian.
Many of us are of an age where we enjoy the nostalgia section as much as the current scene !
I am sure you will enjoy being able to join in the chats.
Pete.

Return to “The Newbie Forum.”