Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Identity

Introduce yourself here and feel free to ask any "newbie" questions that any of the beginners to the hobby have
hereward

Identity

Post by hereward » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:56 am

Hi Folks – First post. On Thursday 2nd about 10 miles north of Birmingham, England, what appeared to be a large airliner with two slim engines with large propellers projecting some distance forward of the wings, came over, heading north. I travelled on a Viscount Turboprop in the early 1960’s, that I think, was the last time I saw a propeller airliner. Would be keen to know what it was, can’t find it on Google.
Many Thanks - Hereward

tb2

Re: Identity

Post by tb2 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Time of day would probably assist?

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:40 pm

firstly welcome to the forum,

if you have a reasonably accurate time then it should be possible to tie it up from flightradar24, direction as well would help. If you're not used to the playback facility on fr24 (forum short talk for flightradar24) please p[ost any other info you can give here e.g. time and direction and I (or someone else if they beat me to it) will try to i.d. it for you

Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

hereward

Post by hereward » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for the replies - the time was 11:45 am, and the aircraft was heading north. Could well be the one in the photograph. Just had a look at Flightradar24, can't see how to find past flights. All the airliners I have seen in recent years have been jets, I was surprised to see the propellers, but then I don't know much about aviation.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi Hereward,

For past flights in FR24, click on the clock symbol top right next to "Bookmarks". You can only go back a week but not a problem here. Note that it is in UTC (GMT to you and me) so for 11:45, select an hour of 10 and the minutes are every 5. Speed is minimum 12x so when you press "Start playback", use the pause/play buttons in the box that appears lower down the screen. Hope this isn't too much of an "idiot's guide" but should get you going ok.

I have looked for the date/time/location you quoted and the nearest seems to be a Flybe DHC-8 G-ECOG heading NW. See for yourself and decide accordingly!. You may know, but click on the plane's symbol and you will get a lot more info on the left panel including height/speed etc.

Great tool for catching those overflights (or at least a starter to research fully).

Hope this helps,
Regards
Ian

hereward

Post by hereward » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for that Nighthawk, I have ad-blocker on preventing access, will sort it.

Return to “The Newbie Forum.”