Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Viewing Guide!

Post your logs, movements and information for Aberdeen here.
Lossie15
POTM & SPOTM winner

Viewing Guide!

Post by Lossie15 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Hello all, just thought I;d construct this Viewing guide to aid people wishing to spot at the airport.

The mound is located round beside Cordyce View opposite Faulk - It's only good if you are there in the morning/ early afternoon and the sun is out. It can be alright as well if there is some cloud cover...

If the choppers are landing 23, it's brilliant.

ImageUntitled by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

ImageAberdeen Dyce 16.11.13 by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Also, from near the mound you can shoot things on the bond apron etc!

Bond Apron shot:

G-REDP by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

727 by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

When on 34, the Wellheads Drive is also good for morning and afternoon arrivals. You can stand either side of the centerpoint and get some nice shots!

From Wellheads Drive...

KLM EMB190 by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Aberdeen / Dyce / EGPD by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Further up the road off Wellhead Drive is a small dead end road directly across from the Cricket club called Market Street. This is to the WEST of the 34 center line so don't get confused by the other market street over the east side of the center line. Here you can get good arrival shots and sufficient departure shots... Baring in mind, the departure shots are only good for the bigger stuff... A320/738 etc...

From the the WEST Market Street...

A319-132 British Airways G-EUPC//Olympics 2012//"Firefly" by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Thomas Cook A320 by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Nearer the airport terminal is where the official viewing area is found... on Upper Farburn Road. Unfortunately, this road was closed for some time due to construction work going on nearby, BUT recently has been opened for access again, only on foot however. If you do have a car, you'll need to find a parking space somewhere within the airport but it's definitely worth it.

From Upper Farburn Road...

G-EZFX by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

The Deen/EGPD. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Staying within the airport complex... if you head round toward CHC helicopters, there's a small grassy section of land near a no parking spot right between the Eastern Airways hangar and the CHC Helicopter complex. This is a good spot, however, I might have parked in the NO parking place near by and lets just say the police weren't too happy about it, so do take care here!

From the Forties Road...

RAF C17/ZZ177 by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

EZY via Papa 600 to Luton. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Finally, to the north west of the airport lies Dyce Drive and Overton Garage... These spots can provide good landing shots on 16 and good take off shots (For the bigger aircraft) when on 34. There are a few small roads around the area which are ideal! The road which leads near Overton Garage gives you a lot of height and is good for looking over the countryside too!

From these spots...

Easy does it! by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Air France EMB190. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

737-800 KLM. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Over Aberdeenshire. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

EasyJet A319 Departs ABZ/8:45pm. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

And of course the Jaguar which is found just off of Dyce drive, very near the previous spots..

Jag and Dash q400. by M. Leith Photography, on Flickr

Hope this helps!! Check out more Aberdeen photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lossie15/s ... 621520050/

Cheers, Mark.
Last edited by Lossie15 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Viewing Guide!

Post by Mike » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:09 pm

That's a very handy guide, Mark - have made it a sticky just in case it gets buried underneath the avalanche of Aberdeen threads.
Nice to have met you again at Lossie a couple of weeks ago - I still haven't washed the graffiti off the car. :lol: :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 am

Is there by any chance a viewing gallery in Dyce airport itself?
I'm flying up in late September and will have a few hours to kill.

Clydeflyer

Post by Clydeflyer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 am

Thanks for taking the time to compile this guide. I'll be sure to use it if I ever get the chance to get up to Aberdeen.

All the best!

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:54 am

beefsteak wrote:Is there by any chance a viewing gallery in Dyce airport itself?
I'm flying up in late September and will have a few hours to kill.

Mark mentioned an official viewing area in his report but I think you might mean inside the building:
Nearer the airport terminal is where the official viewing area is found... on Upper Farburn Road. Unfortunately, this road was closed for some time due to construction work going on nearby, BUT recently has been opened for access again, only on foot however. If you do have a car, you'll need to find a parking space somewhere within the airport but it's definitely worth it.

Great report Mark, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 am

I'll be on my mobility scooter, I'm going to have an adventure and may have a few hours to kill round the Dyce after my flight gets in.

Clydeflyer

Post by Clydeflyer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi,

I managed up to Aberdeen Airport for the first time last weekend and stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel for a couple of nights which is excellent for photography. I`ve included the link with info and images here meantime as it follows on from this excellent guide.

http://www.clydesideimages.co.uk/aberde ... rport.html

Cheers

eurach

Post by eurach » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:53 pm

Thanks for posting this guide. Its very useful.

Return to “Aberdeen”