Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Redhill Closure?

Post your logs, movements and information for airports located in the London area.
Bobbybefc

Redhill Closure?

Post by Bobbybefc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:56 am

:D

Looking at this months LAAS magazine, looks like the closure of Redhill and handing same over to property developers for hundreds of new builds to be built will more than likely happen sooner than later. If indeed correct this is another blow to Aviation and to our hobby.

Bob :(
Bobby B EFC :cool:

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: redhill Closure?

Post by andygolfer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 am

I've seen posts about that elsewhere for some time now, unlike some of the other airfields that are under threat this does seem to have more of a feeling of inevitability about it.

Airfields do seem to be a bit of a target for developers at present, Andrewsfield just down the road from me has been put forward for development under the local plan. The problem is that they can be regarded as brown field sites by the developers and thus the authorities. There are probably areas of the airfields to which that applies but there are usually large areas of green fields etc on them.

Re Andrewsfield, I will be interested to see where the resident aircraft go if it does happen, there aren't many airfields left in west Essex and and enlargement of an existing one would probably be objected to by Stansted. I guess Redhill is in a similar situation re Gatwick andthere's hardly a surplus of airfields in the Sussex/Surrey border area.

i amended the topic title BTW so it shows what the subject is, hope that's okay

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: Redhill Closure?

Post by PorkScratching » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:22 am

Concur with Andy - from what I've read on the Flyer Forum, Redhill is closer to being a field of houses than the many other airfields where redevelopment has been proposed.

I don't think Andrewsfield is anywhere near as advanced - I certainly hope not because I'll have to find somewhere else to fly from, and they have excellent and friendly facilities. If it did close I don't think Stansted would complain about increased activity at other airfields in the vicinity - different airspace users do try to co-exist and co-operate as much as possible. Stansted is already surrounded by busy airfields such as Stapleford, North Weald and Earls Colne which happily co-exist just outside of Stansted's controlled airspace, or underneath a block of Stansted's CTA in the case of North Weald (and in it's TMZ). Part of Andrewsfield's ATZ is actually inside Stansted's CTR! It has been for years and a Letter of Agreement (LoA) between the two confirms procedures and they work very well.

Return to “London & home counties”