Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Anyone been to Frankfurt recently?

marpleman
Location: Marple Bridge, Cheshire, overlooking approach into EGCC

Anyone been to Frankfurt recently?

Post by marpleman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi

I've somehow managed to land a piece of work for four weeks, working for a well known UK Airline (named after a famous explorer...), which basically requires me to be based at their group/partner airline maintenance facility, air-side at Frankfurt.................talk about have your cake and eat it!! :Wow:

Frankfurt is one airport I haven't visited in Germany,so whilst I'll be (reasonably) busy larking about in hangars ,upto my kneck in spare parts, sat in an office overlooking the southern aprons, I'm alarmed to read that the official observation deck closes at 17:00 hrs !!!!

Anyone any ideas where else you can suitably spot from after the deck has closed?

I might be able to "work late" but would imagine the coverage from the southern apron area might be limited?

Heard McDonalds in the terminal has good views, and also seen reference to a "recreation area" on the eastern perimeter, but other than that I'm unsure, as I'll be either on foot, or reliant on buses.

Obviously after a few days I'll have a clearer picture, but would welcome any suggestions

Thanks

Regards

Rich

mach one
POTM winner

Re: Anyone been to Frankfurt recently?

Post by mach one » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 pm

I think i am right saying that the visitor terrace is 10.00 hrs to 18.00 hrs April to end of August

you access the visitor terrace from terminal two and the security entrance to the terrace is in the back left corner, in this food court area there are huge glass windows that look out over the terrace on to the airfield, this is where the McDonald's that you mention is located

when we were there it started raining and because the terrace has no shelter we came in to this area and grabbed a table by the window bought some stuff from Mc D,s and carried on spotting from this area

in the food court they have touch screen info boards that list all arrivals, they also list all the reg numbers of the incoming aircraft so you can see what is due when

to get on the terrace your camera bags and any hand luggage you will be scanned and might be searched and you will be subject to security checks as well

marpleman
Location: Marple Bridge, Cheshire, overlooking approach into EGCC

Re: Anyone been to Frankfurt recently?

Post by marpleman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Many thanks for the info.

The facility I'll be working from is the Condor maintenance hangar on the south side, so if I can "hang around" after work I may go for that option, otherwise it's looking like a "Big Mac" tea every night :lol:

Rich

Return to “Germany”