Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Coventry's DC6 Diner

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Coventry's DC6 Diner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 5:39 am

Hi Guys n Gals,

well as I was trundling back from London on Sunday, I thought I'd pay a visit to one of my favourite UK airfields, Coventry. I usually take any excuse to visit there and have my usual cheese n ham toastie at the museum, however they now have some competition in the form of G-SIXC. As she's no longer in a flyable condition, she's been converted into a diner and a bloody good job they've done!

Outside she still looks as good as ever.

And inside, the cockpit looks perfect.

And the view from my seat was fine.

However it's all changed inside, here's my drink (alcohol free) and understated menu design.

And a view down the fuselage.

There's even a bar at the end but I was more interested in the food!

So not only can I see my favourite airliner type ever built but I can eat at the same time and view the Airbase from the comfort of a DC6.

Good luck to them with this great venture and let's hope aviation fans use the facility.

By the way, you can reserve the aircraft for events etc, it would make a great location for my 50th birthday, next year!

Regards

Reggie

Danmadole

Re: Coventry's DC6 Diner

Post by Danmadole » Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 am

Do they cook the grub on board? Dont see any sign of a kitchen....

Nice one.

Gary

2.2DME
SPOTM winner

Post by 2.2DME » Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Reggie

Cracking aircraft the DC-6 :) I've had the fortune of seeing the Red Bull one fly twice, it's certainly a sound to remember! :thumbs:

As you've probably seen you didn't miss much of interest at Barton over the weekend, although there was a fair few visitors nothing set the pulse racing :(

ATB
Stephen

Barton Blog: http://bartonegcb.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aviation Blog: http://qsyon-route.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qsyonroute/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canon EOS 1000D + EFS18-55 F3.5-5.6, EF24-105 F4L IS USM, EF70-200mm F4L USM

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Mon May 09, 2011 11:06 am

Well done Coventry :thumb: That should be a busy place when more people find out about it,nice little report Reggie - thanks fella. :)

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Danmadole wrote:Do they cook the grub on board? Dont see any sign of a kitchen....

Nice one.

Gary
Hi Gary,

the food is cooked just alongside the aircraft.

Music is piped through and the space is air conditioned.

Regards

Reggie

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 4:26 pm

2.2DME wrote:Hi Reggie

Cracking aircraft the DC-6 :) I've had the fortune of seeing the Red Bull one fly twice, it's certainly a sound to remember! :thumbs:

As you've probably seen you didn't miss much of interest at Barton over the weekend, although there was a fair few visitors nothing set the pulse racing :(

ATB
Hi Steve,

I've been fortunate enough to fly in 'Six', which is why it's my favourite airliner of all time. The sound is just blissful.

Glad I didn't miss anything too interesting at BArton and even more pleased that the CL415 was delayed into Manchester!

TTFN

Reggie

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Mike wrote:Well done Coventry :thumb: That should be a busy place when more people find out about it,nice little report Reggie - thanks fella. :)
Hi Mike,

it only opened last week and was almost full on the first night.

Whilst I was chomping, mid afternoon, there was about 20 diners that joined in and everyone was fascinated by the aircraft.

The place should do really well.

Regards

Reggie

Barton Buzzard
SPOTM winner

Post by Barton Buzzard » Mon May 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Spooky..I'm just in the middle of finalizing my traveling arrangements-I'm going to the Coventry museum on Thursday! Now I have a good idea where I'll be having my chips :thumbs:

Cheers
Gary

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Reggie,what are the prices like ? - my son's in the area,he'd love to surprise his missus with a nice meal out. :whistle:

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Barton Buzzard wrote:Spooky..I'm just in the middle of finalizing my traveling arrangements-I'm going to the Coventry museum on Thursday! Now I have a good idea where I'll be having my chips :thumbs:

Cheers
Gary
Hi Gary,

here's the direct number for them.

02476882604. Tony Caunce runs the catering, so just ask him for the opening details.

Just make sure you have a full day, if Airbase is open yet mid-week, as there's a lot to view.

Enjoy.

Reggie

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Mike wrote:Reggie,what are the prices like ? - my son's in the area,he'd love to surprise his missus with a nice meal out. :whistle:
Hi Mike,

I had a very tasty cheese burger, chips, salad and onion rings and a bottle of alcohol free lager and it was just over £10.00. Well worth the price as it was tasty, the helping was just right (looks smaller in the photo) and the locale perfect!

Have a great time.

Reggie

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon May 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks very much,I could murder that plate of grub right now. :lol:

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Mike wrote:Thanks very much,I could murder that plate of grub right now. :lol:
Hi Mike,

obviously a man of good taste then!

Regards

Reggie

Barton Buzzard
SPOTM winner

Post by Barton Buzzard » Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 pm

The Cameraman wrote:
Barton Buzzard wrote:Spooky..I'm just in the middle of finalizing my traveling arrangements-I'm going to the Coventry museum on Thursday! Now I have a good idea where I'll be having my chips :thumbs:

Cheers
Gary
Hi Gary,

here's the direct number for them.

02476882604. Tony Caunce runs the catering, so just ask him for the opening details.

Just make sure you have a full day, if Airbase is open yet mid-week, as there's a lot to view.

Enjoy.

Thanks mate, will do :thumb:
Gary

Reggie

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Guys n Gals,

well I ended up there again today! 260 miles round trip for lunch eh. Very tasty and I reckon this could become a regular watering hole for me.

Regards

Reggie

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”