Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aberdeen 1986

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Aberdeen 1986

Post by LondonEye » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

My one and only visit to Aberdeen back in 1986.
Memories - the grass mound next to the terminal, great view of Bristows. A minute viewing area at the fence far right of terminal. Just one bench ?
Foreign pound notes ! Very busy most of day.
Wished I had a bigger lens than the 200mm.
The last couple of shots taken from B757 BAW heading home.
Bet it has expanded since then.
Pete.

ImagePuma Bristow G-TIGC Aberdeen

ImageViscount BAF G-CSZB Aberdeen

ImageViscount Virgin G-AOYP 1 Aberdeen

ImageBell 214 BCAL G-BKJD Aberdeen

ImagePuma Bond G-PUME Aberdeen

ImageS-61N BCAL G-BIMU 1 Aberdeen

ImageS-61N BAW G-BDES 1 Aberdeen

ImageS-61N Bristow G-BHOG Aberdeen

ImageS-76 Bond G-BOND 1 Aberdeen

ImageHS748 BAW G-BCOF 1 Aberdeen

Image17-9-86 Flight_0003

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: Aberdeen 1986

Post by PorkScratching » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Very interesting. I remember visiting in the early 90s and making use of the grass mound and the little viewing area. The tower is looking very bright in your shots so presumably had only just been built. Architecturally it certainly looks very 1980s!

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am

Was down at the airport yesterday, but over on the east side. A lot of prep work going on in the farmland visible in the background of the final photo, but not sure exactly what's going to go up or whether it's for a new section of road (or both). Looking at the subjects in the photos, not one of those types operates from here now, the ATP being the closest to the 748. Favourite memories: a Peters Aviation DH Heron downwind on a warm summer evening, silhouetted against the setting sun; the distinctive 'whistling' of RR Darts on any number of Viscounts (the real workhorses at Aberdeen for many, many years); BEA Trident 1s coming in as the last flight of the weekdays (between 9-10pm); Air Anglia DC-3s and F-27s loading up outside the old terminal on the east side; and the red/black/white Trislanders of Loganair - at least the latter airline is still going strong, and they've brought back the red/black/white colours. Those were the days...

Thanks for posting these photos - they brought a smile to my face. :)

M

spuggs

Post by spuggs » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Me too. Ah Peters Aviation, theres a name from the past - anyone got any pics of their Heron?

spuggs

Post by spuggs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks for that, didn't remember them being so well kept and colourful.

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”