Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Heathrow in the early 1970s - some scanned slides

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Heathrow in the early 1970s - some scanned slides

Post by andygolfer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:24 pm

PorkScratching wrote:I think we need a smokey photo thread, perhaps in the themed section?
that's a good idea Nick - got any to start it off?
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

pig hunter

Post by pig hunter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:32 pm

Coalburning An-12's too!!!

great for a bit of muck!!!

pig hunter

Post by pig hunter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:34 pm

here is one.....

best

ph

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Great memories of bygone days, and an interesting narrative. Thanks.
Here is a picture I took on take off in a BMA DC9 back in June 1983.
For those not familiar with LHR, the Roof Gardens are lower right. The black roof building, is Terminal 1 (BAW and domestic). Two multi-story car parks on the left. The lower was No2 and was useful for pics.
The roundabout led into the tunnel, under the runway to the cargo area. In the 70's we used to sometimes jump on a bus to peek. Air France F-27 were around on mail flights. Sometimes, you might be lucky with a delivery flight such as an Egyptair Tu154 or B737, and occasional Biz-Jet.

With the lack of decent viewing facilities nowadays, I wonder how youngsters can get inspired to work in aviation.
Pete

Image20-6-83 Flight _0008 LHR Central

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Great shot LondonEye - brings back many memories.

davekench

Post by davekench » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Have to agree the QB and T2 were great, but from what I remember there was no shade, so during the summer there were plenty of lobster looking spotter, plus the avaiation shop was always useful with it rumour board. Memories.

Dave

SeanW

Post by SeanW » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 am

davekench wrote:Have to agree the QB and T2 were great, but from what I remember there was no shade, so during the summer there were plenty of lobster looking spotter, plus the avaiation shop was always useful with it rumour board. Memories.

Dave
yep that was me !! Used to Spot from QB late 80's early 90's leaving North London around 6.30 am on the Piccadilly Line to get into 'row around 7.30 and up onto T2 C/P for the Big stuff coming in on Overnights, in decent summer morning light, only to be stripping off layers about 11am and trying to slap on Suncream, while keeping the bins up and lenses clean from Oily smear, holding a pen and notepad and ready to grab camera from the case and not smear the lens with creamy hands cos the rolls of film were expensive for a teenager on YTS and to waste a pic was costly !
dragging round my metal camera case with my air fete stickers across it in one hand , Bins round neck and ready on the other hand, and shoulder bag hung on my nice red blistered skin with "in case it gets chilly/wet" clothes in it from the morning, Back and forth between T2 c/p, QB for brekkie, rumour board and to purchase the latest Publications from various societies or fleet lists, take in some T2 action before heading off for Burger King lunch and then occasionally off to the corner of T3 C/P too but for some reason was always moved off there after less than an hour by jobsworth Patrols before heading off home as the light started to fade around 8pm in the summer !
my once a week treat to myself depending on what day i was given off for covering the saturdays at work !

Mrwillhay

Post by Mrwillhay » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

These are great pictures that evoke wonderful memories of 'real' spotting at Heathrow
My first visit was in the sixties, and I well remember Air France Deux Ponts, British Eagle Viscounts and Britannia's, and BEA Heralds to name but a few.

Happy days,

Regards, Eric

bunglebilly
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by bunglebilly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Just found this thread, brilliant! I used to travel down overnight from Manchester and set up on car park 2 for the day, Great times. And Oh how i wish i had a better camera back then :(
Cheers
Paul

Wiltshire_Victor

Post by Wiltshire_Victor » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Lovely, evocative shots of a time when I too would frequent LHR most Saturdays having travelled up on the double decker bus from Reading where we lived. I have a few old colour shots from this time, most are long gone but I will dig them out, scan them and post them.
Find me and 360 other enthusiasts at http://aviationforall.proboards.com

Find our Aircraft Con Trail page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1552422878165906/

Bob UK
POTM winner

Post by Bob UK » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Can only echo everyone else's comments...... this has stirred some fantastic memories...... up on the QB, rows of Vanguards & Viscounts, Tridents of various marks, Caravelles, VC10s, IL18s, TU104, 134, IL62......Up on car park 2, then down into Terminal 2 to kip overnight for a few hours until the cleaners started work in the early hours, then it was up for another full days spotting before catching the evening train home............ seem to remember a couple of regular Gulf 2's that used to visit 9M-ARR & TT.......... I actually got into the Hunting ramp for a looksee after asking the security guard nicely........ :D

cheers Andy for exercising my old grey matter. :thumb:
If you would like to view my pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96219572@N07/albums

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:25 am

Thanks for the wonderful memories of the Queens building, priceless. I started around this time going with my parents. The Caravelle was an early favourite along with the DC-10. Anyone remember 4W-ABO IL-18 which I saw but never photographed. 128426 C-118 also. Thanks again and time to look at the old log books!

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:01 am

Hi Chris,
I saw 4W-ABO Govn of Yemen on 3rd June 1974. I seem to remember it was fairly early morning on the way to work, and lovely gutsy engines suddenly overhead. I also have a vague memory that it visited to pick up a coffin ! someone important ?
Saw the C-118 USMC on 3rd June 1975, from home, but till I find logbook cannot say whether it was heading Heathrow or Northolt.
What other gems do folk remember ?
Pete.

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”