Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tornado-Settle Carlisle line 16-2-17

Landscapes,portraits,sports - anything really as long as it's not offensive.
EGNH1909
SPOTM winner

Tornado-Settle Carlisle line 16-2-17

Post by EGNH1909 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 pm

To celebrate the forthcoming reopening of the entire Settle to Carlisle line following storms last winter, Northern Rail recently ran 3 days of scheduled steam services between Skipton and Appleby. These were the first scheduled main line steam services for almost 50 years. An added bonus was the tickets were at the normal route prices. I managed to get tickets for the final day.
These are also the first pictures taken with my new Canon 760D (my first ever DSLR!) so just getting used to all the settings etc. Not brilliant weather, but it is the Pennines in winter.

£11.70 each for a return trip on the Settle & Carlisle, pulled by Tornado- a bargain!
ImageIMG_0536 by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Tornado at Skipton, moving to the front of the train, having dragged this diesel and 9 carriages from Appleby, tender first.
ImageIMG_0495 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0499 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0500 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Reversing out of the station to change platforms.
ImageIMG_0502 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Waiting for Tornado to reappear- only steam trains can attract crowds like this.
ImageIMG_0505 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

The 10.44 Northern Rail service to Appleby now arriving at platform 3!
ImageIMG_0507 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Some of the many photographers up and down the line- This was taken as we crossed the Ribblehead Viaduct - gloomy weather and dirty train windows- not a great combination.
ImageIMG_0513 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Typical Fells weather in February.
ImageIMG_0519 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Our return service to Skipton- tender first, pulling the train all the way back to Skipton in reverse.
ImageIMG_0527 - Copy by Peter Rowe, on Flickr

Hope they are of interest.
Best Wishes.
Pete.

mach one
POTM winner

Re: Tornado-Settle Carlisle line 16-2-17

Post by mach one » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm

some very nice shots Pete

I bet you had a great day, i would love to go to the viaduct to get some shots of a steam train running over it, I was talking to a girl that went there last year when the scotsman was running over it and she had some fantastic shots

I did see the tornado on severn valley last september when she was staring in the autumn steam gala with the flying scotsman, i didn't ride the trains i was trackside for pictures

Return to “General Photography”