Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Shots From Northern Alberta ( big post )

Landscapes,portraits,sports - anything really as long as it's not offensive.
WingNut

Shots From Northern Alberta ( big post )

Post by WingNut » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 pm

I apologize for my absence from this forum but because I've been in a very remote part of Northern Alberta, Canada the opportunities for
aviation photography is almost nonexistent. It has presented me with some other very nice subjects and I would appreciate the chance to
share some of them with you. Any animal that I post here is completely wild and was captured by me while it was in it's natural environment.

To start it off here's a couple of shots of a two year old black bear. I knew at the time that being 30 - 50 feet away from it wasn't the wisest thing to do
but because it didn't present me with any signals of aggression I went with it. If it would have decided to make a move there's no way I would have been
able to move out of harms way. Because it decided to play nice and pose for me I think I got a couple of nice shots.

This shot was taken by a worker with her cellphone while she was inside her quarters at camp.
This bear was quite a bit older than the one I photographed and turned out to be quite a pest.

The wildlife authorities decided to put up a live trap to which the bear was seen entering, walking to the back, turning around and walking out.
After that it was never seen again. I'm sure if they would have removed the writing on the side of the trap it may have helped. That was a very
smart bear. :thumbs:

btw... in spring a gal from another camp lost her life to a bear and two from our camp were attacked in July. A female field worker and a helicopter
pilot were very lucky to have survived.

Spruce Grouse

Ruffed Grouse Male

He only had one thing on his mind and that was this Female Ruffed Grouse

Whiskey Jack

A beaver working on it's dam.

As this storm approached it turned day into night at about 6pm. That's in a place where it doesn't really get dark in the middle of the summer.
As storms go that was a humdinger.

Spruce Grouse
I got lucky because they are extremely difficult to spot.

The highlight of my photography so far has been capturing the bison. I've seen them in captivity but nothing prepared me for the feelings I had when
I encountered them in their natural habitat.

These were taken in early spring... April actually.

These in July / August.

When you encounter something like this you stay put until they are ready to let you pass. They can be extremely aggressive and can easily kill a human.

I can't describe to you how large this bull was and to to say it was magnificent would be an understatement. Suffice to say I got a wee bit closer to it than I did to the bear.
I'm not an animal expert by any means and I don't have a death wish but I have spent enough time around critters to be aware of some danger signals. Because this one didn't
display any I stuck my neck out to get the shot. I will admit the hair on the back of my neck was standing up when I got back into my truck though.

A couple of the very few aircraft shots that I've been able to get. Helicopters are used a lot up her because it's the only way to get humans and their gear
into the bush in the summer.

I'm moving back to civilization by Christmas and if all goes well so my aviation photography should pick up again. Until then I'll
keep trying for better shots of some of the others I've spotted.... ie: a wolf, lynx, a moose etc.

Thanks for lookin'.
I hide some of my shots HERE

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: Shots From Northern Alberta ( big post )

Post by PorkScratching » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:19 pm

The wildlife shots are fabulous. As is the Bell 204!

retro11
POTM winner

Post by retro11 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:27 pm

yeah great shots, the bisons look like they can handle themselfs allright mean looking beasts.

talldan76
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by talldan76 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 am

A great set there. Love the shot of the Bison, and you got a lot closer to them than I would have wanted to!

Really makes me want to get my butt in gear and get out to see more of the world...

Dan

Return to “General Photography”