Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

A small mix of bits. Stars, Railways and a Rocket Pod!

Landscapes,portraits,sports - anything really as long as it's not offensive.

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: A small mix of bits. Stars, Railways and a Rocket Pod!

Post by PorkScratching » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:06 am

Star trails from within the steel-framed building is excellent! Lots of hot pixels though - might be worth playing with your camera's long exposure noise reduction if it has it (although it'll slow you down because you have to wait for the camera to effectively take another shot of the same duration).

I know a lot of people don't like HDR (and I've not tried it myself), but I really like the sunrise shot.

As for trains, do you have any other old Diesels? I like Class 37s etc. I'm guessing that's a Class 47 in your second train shot?

Crafter

Post by Crafter » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:44 pm

The hot pixels have been the issue for a while. Could it be the sensor? I've had the body for over 6 years now and it's getting tired. NR was on and it's still an issue.

I agree that HDR isn't to everyone's taste. Besides the startrails though, all the shots here and in the other aviation sets are all tonemapped images, but you'd not tell with the majority of them! I very rarely process the images without an tonemapping session before hand. I think it gives them a sharper, cleaner look. :)

I have some bits on my other Flickr, but that rarely gets used these days! https://www.flickr.com/photos/alllinephotography/ The shot you're referring to is actually 50026 (I think) crossing Victoria Bridge at Arley on the SVR.

To go with the sunrise shot, I actually popped out for these..

Image"Black Fives" Pt.2 by Caerus Media, on Flickr

And then on other outings, I've come away with these.

ImageWansford, Nene Valley by Caerus Media, on Flickr

Image"Black Fives" by Caerus Media, on Flickr

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm not aware of sensors degenerating over time, certainly on my cameras the hot pixels don't seem to have increased since new. Does the noise reduction feature entail the camera taking a reading of the same duration as the original photo? That's usually very effective in my limited experience of it (I usually switch it off and live with the hot pixels because it takes so long and I'm usually in a hurry to take more shots, e.g. at the Northolt nightshoots).

I don't have a problem with HDR, especially when used for artistic shots such as your sunrise. Interesting about the tonemapping, I'd not come across that before, but I can see it in action in some of your shots.

I wasn't far off with the Class 47 actually being a 50! I know it's heresy to most rail enthusiasts, but I'm not very interested in steam, it's early Diesels that do it for me :D

Return to “General Photography”