Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

visiting Oxford (Kidlington)

Post your logs, movements and information for London Oxford (Kidlington) here.
mach one
POTM winner

visiting Oxford (Kidlington)

Post by mach one » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm

We are looking at calling in one day, and wondered is it worth a whole day or just a couple of hours stop on the way down the M40

and what is it like, is there somewhere at the airport that is spotter friendly and is there a cafe/restaurant that we will be able to use ?

I did look at the website but didn’t find much about going there just to view aircraft

Martin

Re: visiting Oxford (Kidlington)

Post by Martin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm

30mins is probably all you need although if it's a nice day (weather wise) in the week, the Oxford Aviation Academy fleet of Pa34's keep the circuit busy. I certianly wouldn't spend the whole day there!

Spotting at Oxford is a pain. All the carparks have signs up saying they are for Permit holders only, not that much can be seen from the carparks anyway.

The best spot is on Langford Lane (the road that runs past the Southern end of the airfield that links the A4260 & A44). There is a small area of rough ground that acts as a layby. Don't park in the Sideroads (one's a private road, the other is the Ambulance station), it upsets the locals. :grr:

The problem with Langford lane is the hedge that forms the airfield boundary, it's not too bad in Winter but im Summer, when it's got all its greenery, it can be a pain to see over. There are a couple of crash gates along this road though where aircraft can be read off from. It's also a great spot if they're landing on 01 and you're into photography.

If they're landing on 19, there's a road to the North of the Airfield between A4095 and the A4260 where photo's can be obtained from.

HTH
Martin

mach one
POTM winner

Post by mach one » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 pm

http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/travel/p ... ide_09.pdf

I was looking at that passenger/visitor guide and it shows two car parks that are free for a couple of hours and £5.00 for a day, also wondered what the cafe or the restaurant are like and can we use them as a visitor and can you see anything from either of these locations?

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 am

mach one wrote:http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/travel/p ... ide_09.pdf

I was looking at that passenger/visitor guide and it shows two car parks that are free for a couple of hours and £5.00 for a day, also wondered what the cafe or the restaurant are like and can we use them as a visitor and can you see anything from either of these locations?
I've never managed to get past the security so I wouldn't know. On the time I tried it, the man in the little hut said he couldn't let me past unless I had business on the airport or I was catching a plane. I do not know if that has changed recently but all the details on the above link refer to airline passengers rather than casual visitors.

Martin

DAVEBRAD

Post by DAVEBRAD » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:23 am

hi,
just bumping this thread, i visited 7/8/21 about 1400, called in at the security building and asked if it was alright to look around, too which i got yes its fine, but please no photographs... that was it, left to my self. A remarked difference to the 80-90's when the word was SECURITY,

stay safe, regards,
dave...

Return to “London Oxford (Kidlington)”