Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

London Oxford (Kidlington) viewing guide

Post your logs, movements and information for London Oxford (Kidlington) here.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

London Oxford (Kidlington) viewing guide

Post by andygolfer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Address: Oxford Airport, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxfordshire. OX5 1RA

the airport is approx. 6 miles north of Oxford city centre between the A44 and A4260 and from the M40 junction 9 miles from junction 9 on the M40 (via A34 & A44)
There are bus services in Langford Lane on the south side of the airport and both the A44 and A4260 west and east of the airport respectively, here is a link to Oxford bus timetables for a service to the airport: http://city.oxfordbus.co.uk/timetables- ... #timetable

Airfield info:
ICAO Code: EGTK
Radio Frequencies: APP 127.750 DIR 125.325 TWR 133.425 GND 121.950 ATIS 136.225

Runways:
Main runway 01 – 19 asphalt 1592m
Second runway 11 - 29 asphalt approx. 770m
03 – 21 grass approx. 900m

Spotting / photography
Access to the airport terminal area is limited to people with business at the airport and therefore any spotting or photography has to be carried out from outside the airport boundary.

There are 2 suitable locations for this , Langford Lane to the south and Upper Campsfield Road to the north.
Langford Lane: satnav for the airport OX5 1RA will get you into Langford Lane and then just ignore the entrance to the airport.

Imagekidlington aerial view by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

The only suitable place to park which has space for 2 cars maximum (and that requires considerate parking) is in a layby on the south side of the road at point A on the plan (it’s underneath trees alongside the road).
From that point you can walk 140m east to point B, the crash gate near to the aprons where views can be achieved through the crash gate and the conveniently large lock apertures enable photos to be taken in most directions without the need for a tall step ladder. It affords good views of the taxiway to runways 01 and 03.
these photos were taken through the gate at point B:
Image4522 G-JFJC by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Image4517 fr crash gate by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

From the parking layby you can also walk west approx. 180m to the crash gate at point C which is next to the same southern taxiway and has closer views of the thresholds of runways 01 and 03. As they were using runway 19 during my visit I did not take any photos from this location

Directly opposite the layby are lines of parked aircraft and in the distance the terminal apron, the problem is the hedge which is inconveniently just too high to see over easily. I took a set of steps when I visited and from the grass verge on the opposite side and could just see over enough to get photos with minimal vegetation along the bottom edge, my steps were only 45cm high. This photo was taken using my 45cm steps :

Image2276 G-OBBO by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

If I had taken my higher steps 75 or 90cm high I would have been totally clear of the hedge and also could have used them from the layby which keeps one further from the traffic.

Upper Campsfield Road, Woodstock Sat nav code OX20 1QG will get you into the road then the best vantage point is a gateway at point D which is also on a public footpath more of which shortly. The gateway appeared seldom used but it would probably be best to park away from it on the verge just in case the landowner turns up with a tractor. Once in the field (via the knackered stile – mind the brambles) there is a gap of about 6 metres in the hedge to your right which gives excellent views of the runway 19 threshold about 230m away and by looking south decent but more distant views (about 500m) of runway 29 and the terminal apron beyond. These photos were taken from point D

Image2285 G-OXFA backtrack by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Image2308 G-OXFB at threshold by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Image2280 view from north end by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

The public footpath:…the ordnance survey extract shows the red dotted line indicating the route of the footpath and 4 access points to it.

Imagekidlington os map by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Point 1 is accessed via a rather overgrown hedge and leads close to the threshold of runway 11and is about 440m from runway 19 – 01, the only parking there is on the verge but it is quite a busy road so care is definitely required, probably the least favourable of the access points.

Point 2 is okay for viewing runway 19 threshold but is about 400m away and the only real need to use this would be for evening photography

Point 3 I have already mentioned above as point D but the footpath links points 2 and 3 past he end of runway 19 which is only about 120m distant, there are warning signs posted re the dangers of crossing near the runway and instructing walkers to keep close to the hedge. There is probably little or nothing to be gained from walking along the path in that direction other than a blow dry or an unwanted haircut and I’m not recommending it (as with all these activities you do so at your own risk and I’m only providing information as I’ve noticed it). Here's a photo of the signs:

Imagefootpath by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Walking south on the footpath alongside the hedge to the corner will gain views of both runways approx. 240m away. Also looking south you can see the terminal apron quite clearly for reading off registrations but a bit distant for photography.

Following the footpath eastwards from there gets you to point 4 which is 500m away, I didn’t see any obvious parking place there and unless you enjoy walking for the sake of it point 3 seems a more sensible option.

Hope that's all of use and if you can provide any more information please PM me or post it as a reply to this topic.

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Martin

Re: London Oxford (Kidlington) viewing guide

Post by Martin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:51 pm

andygolfer wrote:
Directly opposite the layby are lines of parked aircraft and in the distance the terminal apron, the problem is the hedge which is inconveniently just too high to see over easily. I took a set of steps when I visited and from the grass verge on the opposite side and could just see over enough to get photos with minimal vegetation along the bottom edge, my steps were only 45cm high.
This time of year is much easier as the hedge has lost all its greenery so much easier to see over (& also through).

A local mailing list for Oxford is https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/egtk-oxf

Martin

minion

Post by minion » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:14 am

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

The new fencing around the airfield has now been extended to the 19 end of the airfield. After driving past at the weekend it appears that the footpath that follows the hedge line at this end has been removed and at some places the fencing is up to the road.

Looks like I'll shooting through chain-link from now on.

Minion

Andyjp

Post by Andyjp » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:05 pm

On the 23rd October work started on the new hangar to built on the end of hangar 14 beside Langford lane resident light aircraft have moved to PFT parking north of main apron & now already good views of the south apron are almost non existent from the gate.

Andy

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 am

Do any locals have an update on viewing ?
I recently read that security has gone and you can drive in.

Thanks, Pete.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:06 pm

LondonEye wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 am
Do any locals have an update on viewing ?
I recently read that security has gone and you can drive in.

Thanks, Pete.
Security is still present, it's just the actual barrier that has gone. They ask that you on arriving, proceed to the security hut to make yourself known as it saves them the bother of reacting to phone calls. You will be granted permission to walk up providing you do not have a camera as tenants do not want to see their aircraft on the Internet. Do not drive through the yellow barriers to the terminal (if you have driven up to the Cafe). The Cafe will not be re-opening in the near future due to COVID. To the left of the Terminal is a crash gate with a seated area close by where you can sit and watch what is going on.

Martin

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 am

Many thanks for that info Martin. :thumbs:
It's good to know they are friendly compared to years ago.

Pete.

Return to “London Oxford (Kidlington)”