Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Revell 144th airbus A380 New livery (first flight)

Use this section to post photos and progress of your build,start a new thread for each model.
viper3111

Revell 144th airbus A380 New livery (first flight)

Post by viper3111 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:54 pm

We popped over to hobby craft at peterboro today as the mrs wanted some card gubbins and our local shop hadnt got what she wanted. Bit of a bonus as one of my work mates said some time ago that they have a half decent model selection so it would have been rude not to investigate. Sadly the selection of kits wasnt all that great (unless you like the run of the mill airfix and revell) but on the plus side the had this realy nice looking 144th airbus A380 so rather than waiting for my kits I orderd I will start things rolling with this.

This is my first ever civil kit but here goes :halo:

Firstly the kit

From the outset it looks like a nice kit, its just a shame its molded in white styrene.

The contents

The instructions are in the usual revell format, which are nicely laid out and cleare to read.

There are 163 parts and two decal sheets. The decals are quite nicely done.

All in all this dosnt look like a bad kit and will make ant interesting venture into my new hobby :clap:

I have almost finished my F-16 and will be doing my group build F-15e for FC but I will do this in between so please bare with me.

viper3111

Re: Revell 144th airbus A380 New livery (first flight)

Post by viper3111 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I will be starting this tomorrow as I am just putting the final touches on my QF-16 which you can see over on FC. This will be two firsts for me as this is my first civil aircraft and I will also be doing an F-15E for the group build on FC, I never have two aircraft on the go but for this I will :halo:

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Go for it Shaun !

I can't wait to see the finished '380 :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Ok, I have now started this and it is a lot more involved than I first thought it would be. I always thought that civy builders had it easy but it proves how wrong you can be. Although the bit I enjoy the most isnt realy there which is the cockpit the undercarriage definately makes up for it. For such a small scale it is so complex with more parts than some 48th scale kits I have built.

Sadly there isnt much to photograph at the moment but I have glued the two parts that make up the cockpit together and started on the nose wheels and one of the main gears. The cockpit has been sprayed light grey as in the pictures kindly found by Garyscot and I will be giving the details (what there is) a coat of colour acording to the pictures. One thing I have noticed is there isnt any clear styrene fo the passenger windows, is this normal as there are some decals in the shape of the windows so Im guessing it is customery to use these, but I will be using some krystal klear canopy glue to creat the glass.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 am

Ive started to paint the interior, I am strugling not to put too much detail in here as it just wouldnt be very noticable at this scale and it wont realy been sen through the canopy any way so Im sticking to basic colours to give the impression of detail.

And now painted

Here is some of the undercarriage, will spray these aluminium when I have put all the struts together.

Next step will be more undercarriage legs :roll:

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 am

Looking good so far Shaun, I remember doing all those undercarriage legs on mine. Not the most fun task in the world! :lol:

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Cheers Ben,

Although I normally dont really like putting undercarriage together, Im quite enjoying these on this. I think because there isn't any interior or much of a cockpit to get my teeth into Im focusing on the next best thing which is the gear.

Although I only normally build friday, Saturday and Sunday now that im back at work, I couldn't resist doing a bit more to it today. I have now got all the main gear together as well as the sets that go in the wings. The gear which was already dry after I put them together last weekend has been 'glued' onto a piece of strong card using Mr masking sol ready to be sprayed aluminum. I am pondering the idea of alclading them, but I dont really have any dull aluminum so I may just use vallejo's instead.

Im actually amazed that such a delicate set of undercarriage can support a rather large aircraft, even in 144th scale.

This is my progress thus far

As im off to cosford this weekend I may not get much more done this week, although im sure temptation will make time to do a bit on friday :roll:

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 pm

As predicted I did some more to it today,

I had a blinding night at work, got loads of sleep and woke up feeling quite good so I thought I would get a bit more done.

There isnt much to look at at the moment as its the same picture as above, ive just sprayed the gear vallejo aluminium. The interior has also been sprayed a very light grey just to get rid of all that white :halo:

Once the gear was dry I gave it a coat of vallejo semi gloss clear coat as for some reason vallejo metalics seem to rub of on my fingures so this is just easier. I will start to pick out some small details on the gear just to give them a bit of contrast as this is a brand new aircraft I am not going to weather it like I do my other aircraft.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:04 am

Due to the fact that I was a bit excited as my EA-6 is at the post office, I was up early today so I did a bit more to the A380.

I glued the fueselage together Friday night so that it would be nice and dry by the weekend. The seems werent to bad but as this is meant to be a brand new aircraft, just of the production line I wanted the surface to be clean and smooth. So I have used my squadron signal green filler and some masking tape to 'clean up' the seems.

I have already sanded the underside seem using my new sanding blocks from models for sale. So I will show the un-sanded upper surface first and then the sanded under surface.

Normaly I have to mask up the under carriage but thankfully on this I have found a way to spray it wothout doing this, thanks to the fact that the underside has a large peace wich goes on over the top of the under carriage so I can put this on with some mr masking sol so I can remove it and then once it is all dry I can remove it and glue in the main gear. Unfortunately I will still have to maske the nose gear but that wont be to dificult :clap:

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Just a small update today,

Ive now got the wings on, which for such a large aircraft were a very nice fit. Thankfully no filler is needed as they fit there slot snugly :thumb:

Its now dawning on me what a task painting this thing will be as the wings arnt white as are the engine mounts so theres going to be a lot of masking required :unsure:

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Just a written update today Im afraid,

I have now sprayed the engine innards with vallejo silver, I then gave them a coat of vallejo semi gloss. When they were dry I went over them with alclad engine exhaust. They were allowed to dry over friday/saturday and then were glued inside the engine nacelles.

Today after I had glued the engines on (this morning before I whent to cockpit fest), I have given the whole aircraft a couple or three coats of games work shops skull white, I am leaving it all to dry and harden until next week when I will mask of the wing stubs so I can spray the wings grey.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:12 pm

I have now let the games workshop skull white dry for a week, not that it realy needed it but I havnt done anything to it since last sunday.

I masked of the fuselage so I could spray the wings grey, Im not 100% if this is right but this is what the instructions say it should be. Either way I sprayed the whole wing with vallejo grey primer. As it is so warm today that dried very quick so I masked up the edges of the wing so I could spray the inner parts darker grey.

The slats on the front on the wing will be painted silver when the wings have been left to dry for another week, or monday dependant on how quickly it dries.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:13 pm

It's looking good Shaun. :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah, it is looking good, big transformation between the bare a/c and the a/c with painted wings!
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/steves-fc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Cheers for the coments Dudes :thumb:

Its turning out to be quite a big task to mask and paint this thing. But it was worth it in the end :thumb:

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Would have been easier to do the whole lot in European grey and stick some roundels on :D

Its looking realy good, another masterclass. I cant wait to see the AN 124

Ben

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 am

I tell you what Ben, that would be much easier :D

Thankfully the paint has dried and hardened very quick in this dry heat so I was able to crack on and mask up the edges so I could spray the slats. I forgot all about the silver bits on the tail planes so these were masked up and then brushed with GW chain mail silver. The wing slats were sprayed using vallejo aluminium and then once dry they had a coat of xtracryic gloss coat. Ive used this gloss coat before and it is very good and sprays straight through without thinning. I will be using Johnsons on the whole aircraft as it is very hard wearing (apparently people use it on floors, what a waist :huh: ).

Any way here it is

It is now sitting on its undercarriage, even though I havnt put the wheels on yet as these will be sprayed shortly. The next job is to spray the whole thing with johnsons, ready for decaling. I have left the tailplanes of as the tail decals go underneath the tailplanes themselves. So once the decals are applied and dry I will glue the tailplanes into place.

Charles022
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by Charles022 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Looks quality that! Still doing it in Airbus colours?
Cheers,

Charles

My new site http://www.reaperphotography.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Take a look!

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Yep, I hadnt even looked at different decals for civy's until I bought my set for the qantas formula 1 747. But saying that I do quite like the airbus set for it :thumb:

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 am

As it was such a nice night last night, and too hot in the house I retreated into my garage to give the A380 its coats of Johnsons Klear. As it was so warm the klear dried even quicker than normal so I just sat there watching the world go by (my table is at the front of the garage) whilst it dried. I then gave it 3 more coats like this to give it a nice gloss finish as the Games workshop skull white is very matt.

One thing I didn't realise about the decals for this beastie is that they are done by DACO who if you dont know are exceptional designers of military sets. So on closer inspection and armed with this knowledge I noticed that they have an ultra glossy finish with realy fine detailing and they are very thin so this was a bonus. I think I have paid more for a set of there F-16 decals than I paid for this entire kit :o

I am hoping to get the decaling started as well as painting and fitting all the wheels this week.

Return to “Modelling Work-in-progress.”