Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Proposed changes to photography military photo rules

Please read the rules before posting images on the forum.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Proposed changes to photography military photo rules

Post by andygolfer » Tue May 13, 2014 5:47 pm

We (the moderators/ admins) have been looking at some ideas to make the photography forums easier for posting and also a bit more lenient on what may be posted.

Firstly we are proposing to merge the Airliners & Cargo, GA & gliders, Biz Jets & Biz Props and Helicopters into a single "Current Civilian Photography" forum which will mean you no longer need to do separate posts for the different categories which is the current rule. The nostalgia & wrecks & relics and airshows / events will continue to have their own forums.

Secondly we have noticed that from time to time members post an occasional military photo in with their civil aircraft photos. At present this contravenes our rules however we feel that there are times when the inclusion of a military photo compliments the post and therefore we are proposing the following wording : 'posts should be primarily civil aircraft but a small proportion of military aircraft photos is acceptable as long as it is appropriate to the post' we do not intend to specify a percentage but hope that if implemented then members will use common sense. We also wish to point out that most 'warbirds' have civilian registrations and as such are acceptable at present, particularly in the airshows section

thirdly in the aviation in motion forum videos should only feature civil aircraft except that videos combining civil and military aircraft in formation or dual display are the only acceptable exception on that forum, an example of this is the Red Arrows in formation with the BA A380 last year

we will leave this post open for constructive comments/opinions until the end of May and if we feel that above proposals would be acceptable to the membership then we will implement the changes from the beginning of June. The rules for posting in POTM/SPOTM will remain unchanged

we hope you approve of the proposed changes
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

KyleG

Re: Proposed changes to the photography forums and posting r

Post by KyleG » Tue May 13, 2014 11:01 pm

andygolfer wrote: Secondly we have noticed that from time to time members post an occasional military photo in with their civil aircraft photos. At present this contravenes our rules however we feel that there are times when the inclusion of a military photo compliments the post and therefore we are proposing the following wording : 'posts should be primarily civil aircraft but a small proportion of military aircraft photos is acceptable as long as it is appropriate to the post' we do not intend to specify a percentage but hope that if implemented then members will use common sense. We also wish to point out that most 'warbirds' have civilian registrations and as such are acceptable at present, particularly in the airshows section
Particularly like this change, would make it a lot more flexible while not compromising the forum's subject. Good idea :cool:
Uniden UBC-3500XLT, Planeplotter
Canon EOS 50D/1100D

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 pm

A smokescreen for posting more military stuff on a 'CIVIL' forum
I got a little black book with me poems in

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm

I think they will help a lot more people post on the forum ;) ,.It makes good sense to bundle them together. The site will be easier to use and the images will vary showing different
shapes and sizes amongst the machines, creating an immediate impact with more focus of interest looking through the sets :thumb: So all in all the changes are welcome and
the sooner the better...JB..keep up the work chaps... :)
Keep on pressing them buttons, to get your numbers up...Tell your friend s too :ninja:

COOLMORE

Post by COOLMORE » Sat May 17, 2014 10:51 pm

think this is a good idea..

re: military, maybe if it was photographed at an airport etc then this is appropriate, otherwise post it on FC..

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 am

I would agree with everything other than the bit about the military aircraft. I understand logging them and including the in a log, but it takes two minutes at the most to open FC and post photos there...

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Thu May 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi all, a new photo section has been created called "Current Civilian Aviation", please post all current images in there please. This replaces the Airliners, Biz-jets, Helicopters and GA sections and all threads should hopefully be moved into it shortly. :)

The military debate continues, well over 2,000 members and very few replies so far. We shall let this run for another week or two before taking any decisions, thanks to all for voicing their opinions so far.

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Thu May 22, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm pretty new here so have not commented until now. But as you're looking for comments, here are mine:

I think on balance merging Airliners & Cargo, Biz Jets & Props etc. into one Current Civilian forum is a good move - it simplifies posting if you've been somewhere like Luton where there's a good mix of types that previously had to be spread across multiple forums.

It's good to allow some military, and to trust posters to use common sense to keep it to a reasonable level. Again it means all the posts from one visit can be kept together to provide an overall flavour of what was about. Also a lot of military a/c encountered at civilian airfields tends to be airliners or biz jets, or derived from them - e.g. the recent French AF CN235 at Stansted, or UAEAF A330 at Manchester.

The video forum proposals sound sensible to me.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Fri May 23, 2014 7:57 am

the migration of photo topics to the new forum ( http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... .php?f=169) is complete.

all photos taken in 2014 have been moved to the new forum, topics with photos from 2013 and before remain where they were even if comments were posted in 2014. Likewise there are some topics started in 2013 with photos added in 2014 - these have been moved across to the new forum as they are seeing updates (eg the BA fleet departures topic)

Enjoy using the new forum and don't forget your POTM &SPOTM entries - looking through these as I moved them there are some wonderful photos that could be entered in this month's competitions.

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

All the new changes are great :) .how far back in time can we go when using the,Current Civil Aviation thread.? :) ...JB
Keep on pressing them buttons, to get your numbers up...Tell your friend s too :ninja:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Sat May 24, 2014 5:07 pm

The mods are discussing it and we will give some guidance once we have all had some input, however I would suggest that the amalgamation of the 4 old sections shouldn't affect the future content of the nostalgia section, for now just use your own judgement and if we feel something obviously needs moving we will PM the originator and move the topic if they agree.

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Sat May 24, 2014 5:58 pm

O.k ,...seems a fine enough reply to me and will wait for a judgement in what breadth of time in years, we can call "current". :)
It all takes time and little tweak's will set it straight..And little T***s will put you right..All in the best possible taste :o :lol:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2014 6:53 pm

noryport wrote:O.k ,...seems a fine enough reply to me and will wait for a judgement in what breadth of time in years, we can call "current". :)
It all takes time and little tweak's will set it straight..And little T***s will put you right..All in the best possible taste :o :lol:
I give up, I really do. :cry:

What does this mean? :- "It all takes time and little tweak's will set it straight..And little T***s will put you right"

bizfreeq
SPOTM winner

Post by bizfreeq » Sat May 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Liking the new rules, but if I had a choice I would say the G.A. section and helicopter section could have been merged into one, with biz and liners in another, but that's a very minor gripe. The military question is quite simple for me, I post them on FC full stop unless part of an airshow post and even then, must be very much in the minority.
Cheers
Mark

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Sat May 24, 2014 7:20 pm

It's a tongue in cheek reply, :) meant to be friendly in its interpretation ;) What problem do you have with it?,. As we progress in using the board with some people
a certain level of some humour can help. There is fine tuning needed to be made on the thread that deals with the time lapse of what is current and what is not.
As for the word in asterisks its pointed at myself, ;) not at anyone else. Can you see this as some sort of dialogue meant with out harm .

Please point out what is actually annoying to you.. :)..check.. :whistle:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2014 8:25 pm

"...If you can be bothered.."

Yes, I am very bothered - from day 1 in December 2009 I have been very bothered.

It's a great forum with loads of great members, and long may that continue. :)

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Mon May 26, 2014 10:17 pm

It's good to know you have the best interest for the forum and its members.I still would like to know though, what time limit in years best describes the number of years
we can go back to in the current civil aviation thread.Even if you just inform me that you might still be discussing the issue or not,will help with my decision what I can or
can't submit.
All members asking questions do so in a positive manner,hoping along the way in a reply,some light will be shed to help the initial enquiry.We want to use the forum to show our interest in aircraft and photography and not have to think if I start asking questions, will the continuation of replys be a mind game of who might be smartest or have the best put down answer.If this is the journey on this forum,then how ever many members you have then for sure you'll have one less.After all this is just a place where we hope we can come and "chill out" and not need a "chill pill" after we have used the board :)

lastly I know you do this on a voluntary basis and I appreciate all your work and time that goes into it. :) i just think sometimes we can get caught up in the net on web sites and take it too seriously,and a bit like life ,why should we ,no one gets out of that alive.
It's a great forum with loads of great members, and long may that continue. :)[/quote]

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 am

Hi Noryport, it's still being discussed and we'll post our decision shortly. :)

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Tue May 27, 2014 10:03 am

Cheers Mike, :) ...Thanks' for the reply on the subject, be interesting to see the outcome.. :thumb:

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Tue May 27, 2014 2:24 pm

noryport wrote:I still would like to know though, what time limit in years best describes the number of years we can go back to in the current civil aviation thread.
Surely current is current, i.e. now? Anything over a few months old starts to become historic. Anything that doesn't exist any more is definitely historic!

Though with the current forum structure, I'd say anything over about 5 years is "nostalgia"?

Return to “Photography rules and how to post”