Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Future of Kemble

Maltatripper

Future of Kemble

Post by Maltatripper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:57 pm

According to wikipedia the Airport will close in April and be re developed.

How far progressed is this plan.

How soon will the based aircraft start to move out?.

dylanjgrant

Re: Future of Kemble

Post by dylanjgrant » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:50 pm

I've not a clue. I don't think this would benefit the council considering there's not an awful lot of scrappers (of airliners) in the south as it is. The only other place I can think of in the south is Southend and St Athan; Perhaps they'll move into one of these and make one big salvaging business?

Would be a real shame to see it go, always friendly when we visit and of course not forgetting the wonderful cafeteria there! I don't think it gets half of the visitors it used to there (GA wise) nowadays either, although I could be wrong, as we only visit there about once a month; usually on a Saturday.

Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by Cessna954 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm not sure of the provenance of the Wikipedia suggestion of the airfield closing in April - i cincerely hope not and the arrival of more wide bodies in December would suggest business as usual.

However, what I am aware of from my work is the following:

The airfield landowner has entered in to a development option agreement with a property developer who will promote the site through the planning system for development. Personally, I can not foresee the landowner forsaking the current income and revenues from the commercial use of the airfield until such time as the development agreement is enacted and the land is sold to the developer. That won't happen until such time as the developer has secured Outline planning consent for the redevelopment of the site and in order to achieve this many planning hurdles have to be overcome. Firstly, the developer is promoting the site as a strategic housing site in the emerging Local Plan but the District Council (Planning Authority) has not included it in the plan, their quote is below.

The Council was not alerted to the proposal to build a new settlement of 2,000 homes at the airfield until early 2015. The site had not previously been considered as a strategic option in any Local Plan consultation document. Nevertheless, the Council has reviewed this option and has concluded that it is not supported by robust evidence to prove that it is either sustainable or deliverable having regard to the development strategy.

Regardless, the developer continues to promote the site through the Plan and will present their case to the Government appointed Inspector later in 2017. If the developer were to be successful at convincing the Inspector to include the airfield in the Development Plan it still remains that the Council can appeal before the Plan is finally adopted, lets say in early 2018. Then the developer has 2-3 years of normal planning ahead of them to secure an Outline Planning Consent - so we're talking about 2020 onwards before any site preparation starts.

Obviously, recent events at Wellesbourne Mountford has illustrated a very aggressive approach by a landowner and developer but that is very much not the norm and will only end in many days in court and lining the pockets of Barristers.

My professional view is that the landowner and developer are only 'testing the water' this time around and lining the site up for the next plan period, 2031 onwards - development is about long term game plans. A lot can happen between now and 2031 so let's see how the world of Trump, Putin and Brexit pans out in the intervening 14 years!!

Happy Christmas all

Cessna

Sean Mac

Post by Sean Mac » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Kemble was looked at by the local council in recent months as a considered brown field site for one of these garden villages however nothing came of it so at present its ops normal. Unfortunately though it is probably a case of when rather then if.

Sean
Equipment
Canon EOS 450D
PSR-295 with a Skyscan Desktop Antenna.

Maltatripper

Post by Maltatripper » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:22 am

I was up there recently.

They have installed a row of four metal posts on the A429 side, which I think are for an advertising hoarding of some size.

Not sure what they up to.

They are also working on a 330 space car park on the A429 side of the station, and there is a new housing development nearby.

Seems that things are on the move.

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:55 am

I have only one thing to say......The Wurzels!

Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by Cessna954 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

With the airfield's landowners having unsuccessfully promoted the site for a 'new town' development to the Council's Local Plan (for the time being anyway) there's some medium-term certainty of its future. The Operating Company are now able to focus on investment and are making their plans publicly known.

They are primarily looking at improving the approach navigation system to being GPS based equivalent of ILS (GLS) and which will enable increased corporate and airliner operations. If their CAA application for GLS is successful they're looking to establish a corporate jet centre with the construction of several new hangars. Apparently, it will also enable an increased throughput of airliners at ASI.

They've set up a dedicated website to inform the local community https://www.cotswoldairportapproach.com/

They've also re-instated their Great Vintage Fly-In and extended it to a two-day event in May. This was previously a very well organised and attended event so I'm looking forward to its reincarnation.

It's looking positive for Kemble again and with the new AV8 cafe reopening (having lost its roof in the first gales of the winter) it should be a good summer season for them.

Neil

Return to “Kemble”